FAQs: Pets and Animals

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Q: May I walk my dog off-leash on any part of the Canyon Creek HOA common property or Canyon Creek HOA Greenbelt area?
    A: No. Even if your dog is well trained, for your safety and the safety of others, you are not permitted to allow your pet to be untethered while not on your property.
  2. Q: May I raise or breed rabbits, cats, dogs,,, in my home?
    A: No. Breeding and raising any animal for profit is against the Canyon Creek bylaws Articles 3.18 as well as certain City of Austin municipal City Code, Statue Section 25-2-900 (K) (1) .
  3. Q: My neighbors dog is left alone and is allowed to bark for long periods of time. Is this allowed?
    A: No.
    • If possible, try to be on positive speaking terms with your neighbors. If you feel comfortable in doing so, consider checking in on your neighbor and asking if everything is OK as you had noticed that the dog had been barking.
    • If being neighborly fails to work, feel free to file a violation report with the management company contact@spectrumAM.com citing the date, time and duration of the incidences.
    • Contact the Austin311 hotline and file a “Noise Issue – Barking Dog(s) / Roosters” complaint.
    • You may also elect to file a civil issue through the municipal court. That process is described here: https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/noise-issues-barking-dogs.
  4. Q: Do I need to pick up after my dogs?
    A: Yes. Dog feces is toxic to lawns, causing burns and unsightly discoloring. Beyond your grass, it has been estimated that a single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans. Several “Doggie-Doo” stations have been provided along Boulder Lane for your convenience. These stations provide replacement bags and disposal receptacle. Please feel free to take a replacement bag if needed.
  5. Q: What resources are available for finding my lost pet?
    A: Try contacting your neighbors around your house and street. Ask on Nextdoor if anyone has seen your lost pet, be sure to check the surround neighborhoods so more people can see your search. If your pet is microchipped, you can call vets around this area to see if your pet was brought in to be scanned. You can also try posting on Pawboost.com, Craigslist, or look for your pet at different animal shelters in town.
  6. Q: What does it cost to get your pet microchipped?  Where can I have it done?
    A: Contact your trusted vet for specific pricing of microchipping your pet.  According to petfinder.com, the average cost is $45.
  7. Q: Were can I find additional information on microchipping my pet?
    A: Petfinder.com has an excellent FAQ page that provides additional information.
  8. Q: What things can I do to minimize my pet from being lost?
    A: Make sure your fences are in good condition, and your fence gate should be latch closed or locked securely.  Check for areas in your backyard where pets could be digging, fill in any holes to make sure there’s no access to the outside via digging.  When walking your pet, make sure that your pet is leashed securely.  When you leave the house, keep your pet inside the house, or if they are OK staying outside for extended amount of time , they should be microchipped and stay in a securely confined area.  When you are home, do not leave your door agape or not completely closed, as that could lead to opportunities your pets wander out of the house without you hearing anything.
  9. Q: We have witnessed foxes roaming the streets and entering our backyard.  This is a danger to the children and pets. 
    A: We’re fortunate to have the benefit of our extensive greenbelt canyon lands and our proximity to the Balcones Preserve. This also means we are in close proximity to all its nature including the plants and animals.  While it isn’t practical for the HOA to be responsible for the wild plants and animals in the greenbelt, if you have creatures causing a problem or taking up residence on your private property you may hire the services of a private animal control service to trap and relocate the animal(s).  You may alternative call 311 to make a report to city animal control.

Additional Information

  • Refer to the Canyon Creek bylaws Articles 3.18 for a complete list of the rules of the rules regarding pets and household animals. You may contact the management company at contact@SpectrumAM.com, or the HOA Board board@canyoncreek.net if you have additional questions.

Page Edit History

  • 2020-03-26 (jmw): Page migrated to WordPress platform
  • 2019-??-?? (Unknown) : Added question Q9.
  • 2018-07-05 (cw): Added questions questions Q5 through Q8.
  • 2018-06-05 (jmw): Page created.